Thursday, March 12, 2015

What's Been Going On...

What a long overextended blogging break I have had.  And I apologize for that.

I will do my best to update about my hips and other joint issues.  Back in October 2014 I made an appointment with a rheumatologist to try and get some answers on the different joint issues I have been experiencing.  My knees aren't really anything new.  They have given me issues since childhood with "locking up".  Fast forward to now.  My knees do act out together and separate.  Once again like my hips nothing really explains the why to the cause and it makes me feel a bit nutty when explaining that my knee issues are random occurrences.  My right knee is the bigger problem maker.  Upon waking some mornings my right knee will "lockup up" or "give out" and send shooting pains.  I have had it checked out about three years ago by my local orthopedic doctor with not really any clear answer to the cause or reason so not much help.  But I did do some physical therapy then.  As it did help strengthen the surrounding muscles I still would have issues not caused by anything of my doing so to speak.  But this wasn't the reason I called the rheumatologist.

The appointment was made because my right ankle began giving me issues of not feeling like it wanted to support me and hurt.  I even began wearing an ankle brace at times.  With my appointment the doctor didn't think any of the joint issues were related.  Not sure I agree completely.  Because then later my right shoulder began to act out and give me issues.  And with my joint issues I can't seem to explain what makes it worse or better.  It is like a flare up.  I don't have to do anything.  I was screened for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and inflammation.  Rheumatoid factor came back at a high normal, lupus negative, and inflammation on the low end of normal.  Ankle X-ray didn't show anything.  I was disappointed but not surprised because I went through this with my hip.  The doctor did let me know that if any other joint issues arose to call her back and she wanted to see me back in 6 months to see how I was doing.  I think with some persistence, I will eventually get to some answers.

Not too long after that appointment my right shoulder began to act out.  I had trouble sleeping due to discomfort and pain from the joint.  I didn't do anything about that.  I just hoped that it would settle down which it did.  But I just wanted someone to pull my arm and make it go away.

In November I did my first craft fair.  I was excited and nervous all at the same time.  It was good to get my name and what I craft out there for other people to see.  At that time I also decided to reopen my etsy shop and start a Facebook page so if someone saw something they liked they could have a place to check back later and have the option to like my page and keep up to date.  I was satisfied with how I did for that day.   I enjoy crafting.  I will be honest I thought it would be easier.  Even with just two at home and the other 5 in school I have had a hard time balancing the house work, the youngest two still at home, and crafting.
www.etsy.com/dotsnstripesbykatie
facebook: Dots N Stripes by Katie

We did receive an email about getting my screws removed as the longer they stay in the harder they do become to remove.  For Arianna we are looking at the minimum of 3 more surgeries for her.  That is surgery to correct the right hip, a revision on her left, and of course screw removal.  I have had the idea that maybe I would use my craft ability and soap making to help raise some extra money to help with expenses.

With spring shortly around the corner and the recent time change, I will admit that I am a bit giddy for this!  The warmer weather is definitely more favorable.

Live in the moment not the past or present for we may miss that moment for something great to transform or inspire us through His great graces He wants to give us. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to see an update, Katie! I hope you find answers for yourself sooner vs later... maybe ask about getting a blood test to check for a gene called hla b27. Dr. Z tested me for that when I kept complaining of weird pains (along with the other tests you had)and it was the only positive one. It's a marker for ankylosing spondylitis. I hope the surgeries for Arianna go well too. You've got a lot on your plate! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been too long of not blogging. Blogging is kind of a way to release for me. My little escape. I am going to have to bring that test up. I think the rheumatologist would listen to me more so then gp. She really listened to me. I sometimes get discouraged because I feel like I am just a nut case with make believe issues. For instance my knee issues and not really getting an explanation. And still to this day my knees give me issues my right knee more so. It is frustrating in the mornings when I get out of bed and I am walking walking walking and then BAM it "locks" up or "gives".

    ReplyDelete