Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Second Blood Donation

Second blood donation is done. All went well. My iron level was 13.4 but Farrah told me that was to be expected. But she said I still have really good iron levels for my size and being a female. Farrah also gave me some FYI. She told me to avoid tea the day before surgery because it has tannin which lowers our red blood cell/iron count. Good to know because I love sweet tea!
This time I peaked at the needle size. I knew it was big last time but I didn't look I just felt it. And was I right. It wasn't so long just wide.
Last time I was nervous not knowing what to expect or how I would feel so I must have tensed up. This time I told myself to relax that arm especially after seeing the needle. I was having a discussion in my head telling myself to relax. But it worked, no flinch this time.
It was also really busy with lots of people donating so I told myself to stay relaxed and squirt that blood out into the bag. Especially when the seat next to me was no longer vacant. I noticed I started to feel squeamish about it all but I was done before my neighbor next to me even started.
Afterwards I had an oatmeal raisin cookie. Yummy!
I do feel a bit wiped out and drained. But overall no dizziness. Tonight is a bit crazy with meetings so we may eat out tonight.
Yesterday I was sent a care package from my my sister in law. This is their way of helping out since they won't be able to physically help being that they live out of state. And yes I admit I was bad and already opened the blowpops. Gum is a great to chomp the nervous jitters away.
My checklist is getting shorter for things to get done before surgery.
Blood one-done
Blood two-done
Preop and MRI-Next Tuesday
Surgery-Monday May 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment