Saturday, December 3, 2011

PreOp

Thursday 11/3 was preop day for both of us. We began the day at the hospital at 9am EST in Admitting.

I checked us in. A nurse called us both back and asked all sorts of health history questions. She gave Arianna's doll an ID band and gave her a pink star balloon. After all the questions, the nurse placed a patch on Arianna's arm to numb it for some blood work later on.

Next we met with anesthesia. The lady that talked with us was a patient of Dr. Millis and had her hips done 10 years ago! I was asked about how Arianna tolerated needles and I said honestly not so good but we would see how she did with the numbing patch. But she told Arianna that if she wanted they could give her smelly flavored gas of her choice. She listed the choices---strawberry, root beer, lemon, lime, watermelon, cotton candy to name a few.

Next we met with admitting to sign a few papers and verify that spellings were correct. That didn't take long at all.

Next we were to see Dr. Millis but the nurse told us that we were to head to lab first especially since she didn't want that numbing patch to wear off. Arianna did great with the lab draw. She didn't feel a thing! I also had my lab drawn. And then we both had to leave a urine sample. I had joked with Dusty about how we better not find out we were expecting---inside joke since last time I had the right hip scheduled we found out we were expecting. I knew we weren't so I really wasn't worried.

After lab I checked us in for our appt with Dr. Millis. He wanted some xrays so we headed to Radiology. At this point Arianna was asking for lunch. I told her just a little bit longer and offered her some pretzels and chocolate. We both did a couple of xrays and then they called down Dr. Millis to come and hold our legs---kinda of reminds me of the position I am in when giving birth. But it does open the hip joint. Funny thing was that when Dr. Millis came down he told me that from the start of the day everyone was calling Arianna and I sisters! Arianna wasn't too thrilled about this but it made me feel good.

After our xrays we went to wait to meet with Dr. Millis but I got a phone call at 245pm saying they could do Arianna's MRI. So we walked back to the MRI. This time Arianna's arm was NOT numb. They used a butterfly needle but missed the vein so the lady got another person. She didn't want to restick her so she left it in place. The next person was able to get it but I thought Arianna was going to pass out. After the dye was injected we went walking for about 30 minutes. But boy did I ever hear about how it hurt. So at 330 pm Arianna was set up for the MRI. She was able to watch a movie during the MRI and I was able to sit back in the room with her. I was given a warm blanket. And thank goodness too because the room was cold. During the wait I looked at magazines but then started to focus on food. Once Arianna's MRI was done, we walked back over to meet with Dr. Millis.

We were his last visit for the day and here we were to meet with him at 11 and 1130am. Well we didn't meet him until around 545pm. But he still took the time to go over everything. He really is such a wonderful doctor. And I am so thankful he took us as his patients. He will always hold a place in my heart for what he has done.

Once we finished up with signing the consents, we were done. So I let Arianna pick what she wanted. She said McDonald's and a hot chocolate. But by the time we got to Dunkin' Donuts they were closed. And McD's were out of chocolate syrup so I felt bad that she didn't get her hot chocolate. We ate our food and I had Arianna shower and then go to bed. Her surgery was first thing at 730am, meaning we had to be at the hospital by 6am.

I didn't sleep so well for fear I would oversleep so I was up at 4am Friday. Plus I had mommy worries just knowing that I had to put my daughter through surgery. But then again I didn't want her to hurt and live like I have been living. I want to give my daughter the best life and hopefully by doing the surgery now it will save her from hurt and pain later and let her enjoy life without added worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment