Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Ever Blood Donation

Yep that is right my very first blood donation. I was nervous because I didn't know what to expect. Yesterday I made sure to drink drink drink lots of water. And I did. I also stopped and got some some breakfast from McDonald's. I know not so healthy but I figured the egg and ham would be better then just cereal.
I had a finger stick done to check my iron levels to make sure I could donate today. And my levels were really good 14.3. Farrah(not Sarah) told me that they needed to be 11 or higher. She even told me that at first when we talked over the phone and I told her my weight that she was a little worried I may have trouble donating. But after she saw my iron level she said that was amazing and that typically women have lower iron levels. She also felt confident that I shouldn't have problems in two weeks when I donate again. It probably helps that I since I currently breastfeed and having no monthly visits from aunt flo that could explain it. That or maybe I just have super strong blood. :) Anyway so after she asked my questions and pricked my finger, which by the way hurt and left a bruise, I went back out to the waiting area so she could get my bag ready.
It didn't take long at all and I went back to the open room and sat in a blue dentist like chair. I stuck out my right arm and she drew two dots on my arm and told me not to move my arm after that. She then wiped the area and then let it dry. Then she got the needle and bag ready and told me I would feel a sting and it would go away. Sure enough I felt a sting but it went away. And the blood rushed out. A little gross but I talked the whole 10-15 minutes it took to donate. Farrah probably thought I was nuts. And then after I filled the bag I lifted my arm up and then she taped me up. And the best part after all this was I got to eat some chocolate chip cookies and drink some juice.
I feel really good. I was worried that I might feel dizzy but nope. I do feel a little tired but otherwise overall I wouldn't have known I had blood taken from me. Just one more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment