Friday, July 29, 2011

Week 12 Follow-Up

Tuesday July 26th was my 12 week follow-up in Boston. I was excited to see what Dr. Millis had to say. Immediately he said I could use 1 crutch and took it away. He did give it back since I got around with it faster but I was given the all clear. I did get a new set of xrays and he was very pleased with the result. He also asked how my right was holding up but I didn't get to respond because he already knew and said probably not very well and was very painful. Right on the dot. He asked if I could feel the screws and he felt for them. He said he did try to cover them up with the muscle tissue but he could still feel a couple of them. He also said they could come out any time. And I also need to have my right hip done in the fall too. Sooner rather then later. I also met with physical therapy and was given 5 new exercises. Surprisingly my right was weak too. She said that I could do outpatient PT back home but wanted to be in contact with them to explain some exercises further exercises. She said that most therapists will do exercises that are for THR (total hip replacement) patients which aren't good for a PAO patient. For example they may want to try and bring my knee to my chest which may not happen.
Since 3 of the kids were with us, and one of them being Arianna and knowing she had issues with her hips he took some xrays of her hips and did some ROM with her hips. He looked at her xrays. Didn't say anything but mmmm with a serious look. I knew that wasn't good. So as he walked back with us he said that she would need to have hips fixed too. He mentioned some other doctors but knew that we would have travel anywhere we were to take her. He said that he doesn't mind accepting her as his patient. He also said that we could schedule our surgeries for the same week to save on traveling.
As crazy it all sounds, I do like the idea and know it would and can be manageable. As Dr. Millis pointed out, I have already been through one so my left would be stronger and reliable. The anticipation for Arianna would be high but her recovery would be faster since she is younger. Her surgery does involve cutting bone and placing screws but the cuts are differently and her cartilage is all still there. Dr. Millis did sit down and talk seriously about all this. But he felt confident that this would be the way to go. Honestly I think it is the way to go myself. I don't want to see my daughter to live in pain like I have for at least the last 15 years of my life. I want the best for her.
Dusty and I will be discussing everything this week and will make a decision to what we think is best. His mom is out of annual so she won't be able to take time off to watch kids. His dad has already said he is open to helping out where he is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment