Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weather...Not So Friendly

Ice, snow, sleet, etc. not on my list of fun. I don't like driving in it or walking on it. It is not my cup of tea.
Well this morning was not my idea of fun. But it may humor some of you readers of my stupidity.
Dusty had to go into work early so when he left I hopped into the shower before the kids were to wake for school. Everything was going smoothly. I managed to get the little ones dressed and the all the girls hair fixed. I didn't leave as early as I had hoped for but I wasn't going to stress over it. I knew to take it slow on the icy roads. But I didn't expect trouble from just backing out of the driveway. Not a good way to start the drive to school especially for someone who dreads the ice. Anyway I was backing out of the driveway slowly and started to turn the wheel as I backed into the street but the wheels and car had a mind of their own and didn't turn. It made me nervous but I did fine and figured it out and headed off to school. The main roads weren't bad. But I still drove with caution, not following anyone too close. The side street that the school is on was slick. I would barely touch the gas and I could feel the car not behaving. I could feel that tense feeling coming back. There were so many cars stopping and going, stopping and going. All I could think about was just let me stop and not continue sliding. I did get through that obstacle, dropped the kids off and went to park. I debated on going to church to listen to Hannah do her petition. Finally I built up the guts to attempt the parking lot. Those around me didn't appear to have trouble so I thought I could walk on the ice too. So I get Emma and Edgar out and head around the car to get Paylynn out and I feel my feet sliding. I turned around and told Emma we would try again another day. I just hope Hannah isn't too disappointed.
The drive home was no problem, the traffic level was down. But pulling into the driveway soon became my new problem. The first attempt I didn't have enough power to get up the slant so I backed up went around the block and tried again with more gas but that didn't work either. I just slid towards our recycle bin. I thought better of myself then to try a third time. I didn't want to take out that new garage door we just had replaced. So I drove around a bit, came back and parked on the curbside. I walked the girls up to the house only to realize that Dusty had went out through the gargage therefore the screen door was locked. So I had to go open the garage door to go in.
Driving and walking on ice has never been a joy to me. So yes feel free to laugh at my stupidity but at that moment in time I did what I thought best. I probably looked like a goof but hey I managed in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment