Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 1

Home!
My goal for the first week home was to adjust with crutches and learn how to care for myself. I had to start somewhere so why not with basic care.
I could use the bathroom without the toilet seat raiser. I could wipe myself. But the challenge was showering and getting dressed. But even more then that just how to get around the house and make myself comfortable.
I found I was worried to sleep in bed the first night home and the second night. So I just slept in the recliner and Dusty on the couch(in case I needed him). After a full night in the recliner I decided I was going to attempt the bed. Night 3 was the first attempt and was successful. I had many pillows in bed with me and I must include Dusty and Edgar in there too. The full size bed definitely was full :) But the bed felt so good. Each night I tried to sleep more on my right side. It wasn't bad sleeping. I did feel a little incision pulling but with a little adjustments it was fine.
Mornings are a different feeling. My left leg muscles are stiff and sore upon waking. Still bearable compared to the pain presurgery! But I do have trouble moving the leg without some help.
I do need help putting on my pants. I can get my unoperated leg in but need help with operated leg. I need help getting lifting my operated leg over the tub wall but it is getting easier. The first shower at home hurt a little bit. But it felt so good to shower. Unfortunately I am not getting a shower everyday. That is ok because things are little bit crazy around the house.
By the end of Week 1 I could cross my goals off.
My Personal Goals
  • Able to get myself into bed just need help placing pillows but can adjust myself
  • Able to shave my legs without help
  • Can use the bathroom without help
  • Very good at clearing a path using the crutches
  • Can situate myself in the recliner but easier to ask for help

No comments:

Post a Comment